Monday, July 10, 2006

Labour Shortage...

This is my gripe or should I say worry lately. Everyone knows we have a labour hortage here in Canada. As I was looking on the web I find it is not just in Canada but a worldwide labour shortage. We really noticed it while on holidays this passed 11 days. We went to a couple fast food restaurants while were were on the highway and noticed it for sure in Red Deer. We went to one McDonald's. As we were pulling our travel trailer we could not go through the drive thru. I went in and there must have been a line up of 30 people and 2 people at the register. So, we left and went across the road (Gasoline Alley) to the other McDonald's. I got out of the vehicle to go in to notice that the inside was closed due to labout shortage so you had to go thru the drive thru which was 14 cars long and not an option for us. My kids then opted for Wendy's of which had the same problem as the last McDonald's. We had to wait to get food from the McDonald's in Innisfail (20 minutes down the road).

Our Taco Bell in Sherwood Park closed down because no one would work there. There was always people there to eat but not to work. Their drive thru has been closed for a long time. This was my favorite fast food restaurant so I wasn't happy to see this one go. Fast food restaurants are now paying their employees $12-$17 per hour depending on location. That is insane! Some are even giving their new employees money towards their secondary education. I worked at McDonald's when I was 17 (only for about 8 months) and made only $5.25 an hour. It was to this day (besides being a parent), the hardest job I had. They were very strict and had set rules which I thought were great. White runners only, earrings on boys had to be covered or removed, hair nets for anyone with long hair, no baggy long pants on anyone, clothes had to be fitted, no eating in front of the customers, "if you got time to lean you got time to clean" , no hanging around or talking on the phone in your uniform and no smoking around the building in your uniform. What happened? I got a meal the other day from a boy about 15 or 16, his pants were hanging so low I wasn't sure why the laws of gravity hadn't pulled them down yet, his hair was a ton longer than mine and probably in my Big Mac, his clothes were filthy and I am sure he was drinking a pop at the till right before I ordered. Sad thing is.....we bitch and complain but we still go back!

I won't even get to the labout shortage for trades.

I know the economy is going to crash and everything is going to go back to where it was. Will everyone be prepared? Will this overpaid, spoiled teenagers who for the most part I think are lazy be able to cope? I sure hope so.

This is my venting for the week. I am Renee A. and this is my 2 cents worth!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so know what your saying Renee....As a business owner we have on going problems in this department!!!grrrrr

Elizabeth said...

that is crazy!!!
I hadn't really noticed but I haven't really gone anywhere lately either...
I'm in the construction industry so we have our share of shortages but it's because we are stealing them all too.
I worry what effect this will have on our children...

Renee said...

Ahhhh Red Deer...my ole stomping grounds....I remember when I lived there how hard it was to even find a job...way back when I was in college...the shortage of workers is amazing right now...don't know how much longer this is going to last.

Anonymous said...

What???? Taco Bell closed down??? My girls will NOT be happy!