Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Scrapbook store over-saturation...

I went to a pretty new store today in Edmonton and checked it out. It had some nice stuff but not a lot of stuff. The owner was very nice. So now, from what I know we have 3 on the north side, 1 in the west end, 2 on the south side, 2 in Sherwood Park, 2 in St. Albert, 1 in Spruce Grove, 1 in Stony Plain, 3 in Leduc and I have been told another 3 opening up in Edmonton. They are close to completion. There are also that I know of, 4-6 online scrapbook stores located within the Edmonton area.

How many scrapbook stores do we need? None of them have anything I haven't seen already. I know it is a persons passion and it sounds like fun but take it from me who doesn't even have a store-front (for this reason), it ain't all fun and games! With this many in town I just don't know how anyone can make money at it. You also have Michael's on top of all these stores and there are tons of those. So now we have 17 scrapbook stores plus about 5 online stores. So we have a total of 22 scrapbook stores in the Edmonton area. Don't you think that is crazy?

What are your thoughts? I know scrapbooking is huge but I personally think all of these stores opening up are just committing business suicide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Now if they could all have their crop nights on different nights we could almost go to one a day.
Whether it is saturated or not depends on how many SBers there are in the area. Maybe Edmonton can support that many stores. Everyone will have their favorite store to go to. BTW there are 2 stores in Spruce Grove. The reason I never opened a store in Whitecourt is because I know how much work is involved and an LSS owner never has time to SB herself.